This is an egg for CHICKEN 4, the unsupported old release. You're almost certainly looking for the CHICKEN 5 version of this egg, if it exists.
If it does not exist, there may be equivalent functionality provided by another egg; have a look at the egg index. Otherwise, please consider porting this egg to the current version of CHICKEN.
zlib bindings for Chicken Scheme
zlib is a popular data compression library that uses the DEFLATE algorithm internally. It is defined in RFC 1950.
Note: if you are using a CHICKEN version < 4.8.3 and experiencing unexpected behavior with this egg, check ticket #1033.
These bindings provide two procedures:
- open-zlib-compressed-input-port #!optional INPUT-PORTprocedure
Returns an input-port.
- open-zlib-compressed-output-port #!optional OUTPUT-PORTprocedure
Returns an output-port.
The first is for inflating an existing zlib stream and the second for deflating data into a new stream.
(with-input-from-port (open-zlib-compressed-input-port) read-string)
(with-output-to-port (open-zlib-compressed-output-port) (lambda () (write-string (read-string)) (close-output-port (current-output-port))))
- This is expecting the zlib format, not raw DEFLATE or the gzip format, which are defined in RFCs 1951 and 1952 respectively. See z3 for DEFLATE and gzip support.
- When finished deflating, it is important to always close the zlib output-port. This will ensure that the zlib trailing data is written along with any data still buffered. The destination port will remain open after the zlib port is closed.
Source code is available in the eggs repository as well as on github: https://github.com/joseph-gay/cscm-zlib
- added missing dependency to miscmacros
- Initial release
Copyright (C) 2011 by Joseph Gay This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA zlib: Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler see http://zlib.net/zlib_license.html