- identify #!optional object flagsprocedure
identify returns a textual description of the file indicated by object, or the contents of (current-input-port) if no object is specified.
If object is given, it may be any of the following types, with identify returning a description of:
- blob: the contents of the blob.
- string: the contents of the file indicated by the given filename.
- integer: the contents of that file descriptor.
- input-port: the contents of the port. This port must be backed by a file descriptor; if not, an error of type (exn type) will be raised.
If flags is given, it should be a symbol or list of symbols indicating the type of description to return. These correspond to the MAGIC_* constants in magic.h, and can be any combination of the following (though not all combinations make sense):
- mime-encoding encoding
- mime-type type
(identify "/usr/include/magic.h") ; => "C source, ASCII text" (identify "/usr/include/magic.h" 'mime) ; => "text/x-c; charset=us-ascii" (identify "/usr/include/magic.h" '(preserve-atime no-text)) ; => "data"
An unrecognized flag will raise an exception of type (exn magic).