- pattern STRING #!optional TRANSLprocedure
Compiles a search pattern. The syntax for patterns is similar to that of the Unix shell. The following constructs are recognized:
- match any single character
- match any sequence of characters
- character set: ranges are denoted with -, as in [a-z]; an initial ^, as in [^0-9], complements the set
- conjunction (e.g. sweet&sour)
- alternative (e.g. high|low)
- escape special characters; the special characters are \?*&|().
The optional argument TRANSL is a character translation table.